DO YOU NEED A PICK ME UP TODAY?
I live in Colorado and currently the weather is starting to turn, meaning we are waking up to brisker mornings, frosted blades of grass and fallen leaves. Yes, It is Fall or Autumn as I grew up calling it. Sometimes season changes bring newness and excitement and sometimes they are sad as we have to say good bye to the previous season. I feel the later. What I am trying to say is I need a pick me up!
I LOVE summer SO MUCH! I find as Fall happens I feel my heart fill with melancholy feelings as the dawn of Fall means I need to prepare for the intense celebrations and all the organizing that accompanies them. But I am mostly sad to say goodbye to the long warm evenings and bright electrifying mornings.
Perhaps, you don’t need a pick me up at all because the very presence of fall enlivens your soul but if you do I have a few ideas.
THE 3 THINGS THAT CAN PICK YOU UP
OK there are so many more than 3 but I am going to give you three ideas that I truly believe will shift your energy and enliven the next moment. I dare you to give them a try and see for yourself.
1. MOVE YOUR BODY
Need a pick me up? Move your body in any way, whatever way you love moving your body.
You can do a work out video, nip to the gym, go on a walk, dance, do some yoga, go on a bike ride, twirl around because why not, go swimming, do a few jumping jacks, a head stand, play some soccer, throw a frisbee, go on a run with your dog…
There simply are endless ways you can move your body you just have to pick one but there is a catch. Do not judge yourself in anyway for the movement you choose and how you end up doing it. Your job is to simply move your body and enjoy it.
If you do this I know it will pick you up! It is science. The movement will create endorphins and your energy will shift. The feeling of being totally down or stuck or sad will shift.
If you are interested in yoga or dance as your type of movement but don’t know where to start I have a few ideas right here-
For dance I suggest trying this super fast and fun dance warm up,
you could even do it with someone!
For yoga I love a quick sun salutation which you can find below.
For more ideas of moving your body check out the video library
2. MOVE YOUR SPIRIT
Your spirit is such an important part of your existence. We learn in Moses (3:5) that God “created all things, of which I have spoken, spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth” including you and me. If you need a pick me up I suggest you do something that will enliven your spirit as it will shift your energy and connect you to God.
This could look like SO MANY THINGS as we all feel close to God sometimes in unique mays but here are a few ideas-
- Read His word. Reading, studying and pondering on the words of God can remind our spirit that we are His and with Him we have purpose.
- Pray to God and ask him for guidance. We are taught to “Ask and ye shall receive… knock and it shall be opened unto you” If you need a pick me up God will know exactly what you need and if you act on your faith perhaps your spirit will move in ways that will shift your energy and perhaps even the direction of your day
- Meditate. In Psalms God provides specific direction to us by saying “be still and know that I am God” in stillness we are provided the opportunity for our mind and heart to wait and learn eternal truths and be reminded of our divine identity.
- Listen to music that wakes up your spirit. You know the music that will open your heart and create space for love and peace. I really love Paul Cardall , Lindsey Stirling , Ben Rector and Ludovico Einaudi
- Practice gratitude. Gratitude is an incredibly powerful way to shift your energy. It opens your heart up to the blessings you are surrounded by. It helps you better see God’s hand in your life. It changes your perspective from pessimism to optimism. Here are some great thoughts on gratitude
3. CONNECT WITH OTHERS
We are social beings who need each other. Today in our fast paced world it can be easy to go an entire day without actually connecting heart to heart to another being. Please make this a priority.
Connecting with others could be giving or receiving hugs. It is said that we need 8 hugs a day to maintain where we are at emotionally and 12 in order to grow. It could be making a call to a friend or loved one, swinging by a friends house. It could be thinking about the needs of another person and choosing to serve them.
It could be gathering together for a game night or family dance night or for a block party.
You can connect one on one or in small or large groups. Take a moment and ponder what connection would nourish you the most.
WHICH WILL PICK YOU UP?
Which are you going to try? Perhaps all of them? I promise you by trying something you will experience a shift of energy, you will receive some sort of a pick me up.
Remember we can not control what others do or say to us, or even sometimes our circumstances but we can control our reaction. We can control our thoughts and our thought in turn becomes our actions. You can read more about the power of your thoughts HERE